Honiton Community Action Group
Honiton Swift Project
We are working with local swift experts and the RSPB to increase nesting sites for this iconic Summer visitor. Swifts are now on the RED list. (endanger of extinction) Please contact us if you would like to volunteer a local site for a nest boxes. We will be doing the survey work May – August this year. The Honiton Scouts have built six boxes for their new roof and will be in place for this season.
Honiton Hedgehog Champion Town
We aim to improve and create beter conditions for our urban hedgehog population.
We are doing this through increasing biodiversity through Honiton Green spaces. building and putting in hedgehog houses, improving their food sources and water holes.
What we do
Honiton CAG is an umbrella group, encompassing these areas; –
- Creating a wildlife corridor through Honiton
- Champion Hedgehog town
- Community Garden work parties, social physical and mental well-being through gentle gardening activities.
- King’s House (Hospice Care)
- Herb Wall (New Street)
- Herb Wall (New Street)
- CUB building (School Lane)
- Children’s playgrounds, roundabouts, – awaiting volunteers
- Honiton Swift project in conjunction with RSPB
- St. Michaels living Churchyard in the planning stage
These are some of the themes we want to develop. There will be opportunities to take part in these activities or to volunteer in whatever aspect interests you. Please get in touch NOW and tell us what you would like to do.
The Community Action Group gardening project is off to a steady start. We now have three small areas around Honiton we have undertaken to maintain: – 1) the area behind the museum and outside the cottages opposite 2) the herb wall in New Street between the car park and the bus stop 3) Kings House, Hospice Care garden. There are some spare garden gloves and hand tools to borrow if you would like to join us.
The aim is to create a green wildlife corridor through Honiton. HonitonCAG believes in the philosophy of Take Action for Nature , by doing so, we are achieving a number of things.
- Improve the mental and physical health and well being of residents and visitors
- Reduce carbon emissions
- Create shelter, food and habitats for a variety of plants and animals.
- To fund raise for plants and equipment
- To build bird, bat and swift boxes with the forest/rural skills school.
If you would like to volunteer for any of these activities please get in touch via this website honitoncag.co.uk. By Phone 01404 45073 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook honiton Champion Hedgehog Town.
Our main work times are Saturday and Sunday morning 10.30 – 12.30. Please check before arriving.
“To make changes you just have to care, if you think you can’t make a difference, just think about the potential power of a seed.”
We are happy to have planted trees on behalf of Saving Devon Treescapes – a project run by Devon Wildlife Trust.
We are pleased to have received advice and support from the Wilder Communities team at Devon Wildlife Trust.
Get in Touch
Please contact us with your ideas or suggestions or if you would like to volunteer or donate to Honiton Community Action Group.